I got this recipe from Chow.com and have made it several times. Super easy and delicious if you love fried chicken! Paired with corn on the cob and cranberry sauce…everyone was happy! The buttermilk soak makes the chicken so tender and juicy. I was actually able to soak this Friday night and cooked it according to the recipe the next day. I packaged it when cooled in an airtight container in the fridge. Tonight when I got home (Monday night) I heated it in the oven preheated to 375 for about 25 minutes while the corn was steaming. Dinner was on the table in 1/2 an hour…Perfect!
My photo from tonight:
Oven-Fried Buttermilk Chicken Recipe
Ideal for a picnic, this crispy cornflake-coated chicken needs no utensils to be enjoyed. Marinating it overnight in rich buttermilk and a heaping dose of hot sauce makes for moist, flavorful, tender chicken with a kick of spice.
What to buy: Kellogg’s Corn Flake Crumbs are the perfect size for coating chicken. If you can’t find them, you can use 5 cups of cornflake cereal and process it in the food processor until finely ground, or place it in a plastic bag and crush the flakes with a rolling pin.
Game plan: If you cook the chicken just before leaving on your picnic, transport it warm, uncovered, in a basket lined with paper towels and foil. If you make it a day ahead, let it cool, then refrigerate it overnight. Pack the cold chicken in a plastic container lined with parchment paper.
The chicken needs to marinate overnight, so start this recipe a day in advance.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 bone-in chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 1/4 cups Kellogg’s Corn Flake Crumbs or 5 cups finely ground cornflake cereal
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
- Combine the buttermilk, garlic, hot sauce, measured salt and pepper, paprika, and cayenne in a large bowl and stir until evenly combined. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and transfer it to a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken, cover, and refrigerate 12 hours, turning once.
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Fit a wire rack inside a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Place the Corn Flake Crumbs in a shallow dish and season generously with salt and pepper. Remove a piece of chicken from the buttermilk marinade, letting the excess drip off, and place it in the Corn Flake Crumbs, turning to coat completely and pressing the crumbs onto the chicken to adhere. Set the chicken aside on a cutting board and repeat with the remaining pieces. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the chicken pieces and transfer them to the rack on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden and crispy and a thermometer inserted into the chicken (but not touching the bone) registers 165°F, about 35 minutes.
Beverage pairing: Agrapart & Fils Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru, France. Champagne is a great match for fried chicken, oven or otherwise, for three reasons. One, the bubbles just seem to go wonderfully with the texture of the batter. Two, the lemony flavor complements the chicken. And three, there’s the pleasure of the high-low: Champagne for chicken, not caviar.
One thought on “Oven Fried Buttermilk Chicken…a kid pleaser for sure!!”
Pingback: Corn Flake Crusted Grilled Cheese « Keitochan Says: